PM Modi takes aim at the Congress on Covid, migrants, and inflation in today's Lok Sabha speech.
Modi also accused the Congress of practicing "divide and rule" and said the party has not been able to shed its "arrogance" despite losing so many elections, in response to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President's address in the Parliament Budget session.
Tue, 8 Feb 2022
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unleashed a stinging attack on Congress in the Lok Sabha on Monday, accusing the party of "instigating" migrants to travel during the initial lockdown and so spreading Covid-19 across the country. Modi also accused the Congress of practicing "divide and rule" and said the party has not been able to shed its "arrogance" despite losing so many elections, in response to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President's address in the Parliament Budget session.
Here are the top quotes from PM Modi’s Lok Sabha speech today
- "For decades, certain states have shunned Congress. Despite a string of electoral defeats, you (Congress) have maintained your hubris. Your actions and demeanor will prevent you from regaining power for another 100 years."
- "Covid was a global pandemic, but it was manipulated for political gain." During the first wave of the illness, Congress went to extremes. You (Congress) provided free rail tickets to migrant workers fleeing Mumbai during the first wave of Covid-19. At the same time, the Delhi government advised migrant laborers to leave the city and offered transportation for them to do so. As a result, Covid quickly expanded throughout Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand."
- "Those who condemn others in the name of Mahatma Gandhi will never see his aspirations realized." Why don't you support our Swadeshi projects instead? Yoga is praised all across the world, but you mocked it. Are we not realizing Mahatma Gandhi's dreams when we talk about 'voice for local'? "Why was it mocked by the opposition?" you might wonder.
- "You derided 'Make in India,' but now that the country's youth have made it possible, you've turned into a joke." Some people are against 'Make in India,' because it implies that there would be no corruption and that they will be unable to collect money."
- "It is critical to support our country's small farmers. They are the center of our attention. Those who haven't experienced the pain, on the other hand, have no idea what it's like.
- The 'Garibi Hatao' slogan helped Congress win multiple elections. They were unable to eradicate poverty even after so many years. "The poor then drove them out."
- "You (Opposition) inquire as to why everyone says 'Modi, Modi.' You should explain why you do the same. 'You can't go a day without thinking about Modi, and you've been calling him Modi since the morning." "Aalochana jivant loktantra ka aabhushan hai... andhvirodh loktantra ka anaadar hai," he remarked, accusing the Congress of blind opposition. (Criticism is the jewel in the crown of a healthy democracy... Blind opposition is a slap in the face to the democratic process.)"
- "During the UPA years, India had to deal with double-digit inflation, and the government confessed it couldn't control it." Despite Covid, we managed to keep inflation under control, with food inflation remaining around 5%. You complain that I don't use Nehru's name often enough. I'm going to try to get rid of that complaint today. From the Red Fort, Pandit Nehru once stated that the Korean War could generate inflation. He also claimed that any unrest in America could have resulted in inflation."
- "British rule in India ended a long time ago, but the Congress adopted the "divide and rule" strategy and is now the head of the Tukde Tukde gang."